10 facts about the Black sea
In honor of the coming of the pores of the holidays we offer to your attention a selection of interesting facts about the Black sea.
The first mention of the Black sea are found in documents relating to the V century BC. It is on the Black sea, Jason and the Argonauts went to Colchis for the Golden fleece.
1. The ancient Greek name of the sea — Pont Aksinsky (gr. Ἄξενος Πόντος), meaning “Inhospitable sea”. It is assumed that the sea was named so because of difficulties with navigation. Later, after a successful exploration of the coast by Greek colonists, the sea became known as the Pontus Euxinus (gr. Εὔξενος Πόντος, “Hospitable sea”). Romanian Black sea Marea Neagră is called.
2. A characteristic feature of the Black sea is complete (except some bacteria) absence of life at depths greater than 150-200 m. the fact that the deep layers of the Black sea is saturated with hydrogen sulphide.
3. In the scheme of currents of the Black sea there are two huge closed cycle with a wavelength of 350-400 km In honor of oceanographer Nikolai Knipovich, who first described this scheme, it was called the “Glasses of the Knipovich”
The Crimean Peninsula
4. The only large Peninsula of the Black sea — Crimean.
5. In the Black sea is home to 2500 species of animals. It is very small (for comparison, the Mediterranean is home to around 9000 species). On znachimogo sea inhabited by mussels, oysters and shellfish — predator Rapana included with vehicles from the Far East.
6. Among planktonic algae found in the Black sea, there is a very unusual view nochesvetka. She has the ability to Postretirement, and because of it in August, the Black sea is sometimes lit.
7. Mammals are represented in Black sea by two species of dolphins, sea pig and white-bellied seal. Some of the species recorded in the Black sea through the Bosporus and Dardanelles.
Prickly shark Katran
8. The only mass shark inhabiting the Black sea prickly shark Katran. He is afraid of people and rarely comes to shore. The only danger to humans represent the dorsal fins of crambe with large poisonous spikes.
9. The most dangerous fish of the Black sea is a sea dragon. The spines of its dorsal fin and Gill covers contain a strong poison. Dangerous black sea Scorpion fish and Stingray with poisonous spines on the tail. It is called the fish-cat.
10. The mountains around the Black sea are constantly rising, and the sea itself increases. And if the mountains grow only a few inches per century, sea occurs at a speed of 20-25 cm over 100 years. The ancient city of Taman already disappeared at the bottom of the sea.